Ah, Leap Day! The most fantastical unbelievable ridiculous holiday of the four-ish-year-cycle. And one of the biggest fashion opportunities of the year! While you're munching away at your rhubarb, consider these trends and opportunities.
- First, and most important, nothing that happens on Leap Day counts.
- That means you can spend as much money as you want, and, legally, your credit card company can't make you pay it off. (This is not legal advice).
- This also means that you can dress in the most ridiculous bullshit you can think of, and, if it doesn't look good, oh well! It's Leap Day! Real life is for March!
- Leap Day is usually cold, so you'll generally want to layer up in warm clothing. Or not, it's Leap Day, do whatever you want.
- Finally -- and this should be obvious -- wear blue and yellow, unless you want to get poked in the eye.
So -- we're looking for loud, expensive pieces you've been wanting for the past four years, ideally in blue and yellow. Let's take a leap.
You can start by checking out this great color combo album from /u/halfthegoldtreasure.
For Film Inspiration, you would be well-off watching Leap Dave Williams 2: Leap Baby, which despite coming out in 2012, is a major menswear upgrade from the original. This year's Leap Day also looks promising, even for a rom com, but it's obviously not out yet, so we'll see.
- Chad Prom Ribbed Turtleneck in Mustard
- Loro Piana Baby Cashmere (non-tracking link). You know what they say, "oh my fucking God it's baby cashmere!"
- Drake's x Aimé Leon Dore Blue and Gold Block Stripe Jumper -- on the cheaper side of their offerings, but very appropriate to the theme.
- Document Blazer in yellow.
- The Ring Jacket Balloon Jacket looks like your run-of-the-mill nice navy blazer on the surface, but, in fact, it's an extremely nice navy blazer, and comfortable to the point where it's downright weird for a blazer to be this comfortable.
- The Armoury Sweater Vest, a good layer for a Leap Day William costume.
- A proper pair of trousers from Rubinacci that just happen to be made of denim..
- 18 East Waterbury Fleece Pants in Balsam Blue. My first of two pairs from this brand, a great one to look at for funky pants in general.
- 18 East Yellow Cable-Cord Single Pleat Pants. Yellow is a loud color, and difficult to wear. Don't you want to try it with some fly-ass wide corduroys?
- Lightning Bolt Swim Trunks, if you're taking a Leap Day vacation this year. I recommend Indonesia -- they do leap day right.
- The Armoury x Ring Jacket Model A trousers, available in a variety of ridiculous colors.
- Gucci Oversized Quilted Logo-Jacquard Shell Hooded Down Jacket (non-tracking link) -- blue, yellow, loud, warm and expensive, all in one garment!
- Fear of God Appliquéd Suede-Panelled Faux Suede Bomber Jacket (non-tracking link), because you can afford to spend $1800 but not even get real suede.
- Navy Suede Valstarino (non-tracking link) -- basic, for the cowards in the audience. Incidentally, a favorite of mine...
- Edward Green Dovers, for you poors who can't afford bespoke footwear.
- Sacai Nike waffle runners. Huh, that's an Amazon link. Didn't see that one coming.
- Koio Tempo Saffron (non-tracking link).
- John Lobb Foundry
- This Somewhat Ridiculous Tie from Drake's
- Hermès "Reve de Mecanique Elementaire scarf 65"
- Rolex Day-Date Gold is a kind of yellow, right?
- Luis Morais bracelet (non-tracking link).
- Elk Winston Handsewn Cashmere-lined Gloves from Hestra
As a final suggestion -- start and end your day with a nice robe from Derek Rose (non-tracking link).
From the depths of the Marianas Trench all the way to Rockefeller Plaza, everybody who isn't Amish loves to celebrate Leap Day. Whether you're crying for candy or dining at Plunder, you should look your best.
After all, as Jim Carrey stated in is Oscar-nominated role as Leap Dave Willams, "I definitely don't have gills!"
Merry Leap Day!